Dr.Ambedkar Government Law College Chennai, Old Campus
Dr. Ambedkar Government Law College , the 128 years prestigious institution was founded by the British in the year 1891 , with the speciality of its location had been in the High Court Campus. This institution had the privilege of being the 2nd oldest college in the country and the first law college started in south India. Originally named ‘Madras Law College’, later got renamed in the year 1991 as ‘Dr. Ambedkar Government Law College’ in commemoration of Birth Centenary of Dr.B.R. Ambedkar, the Father of Indian Constitution.
The college has the high prestigious record of having many illustrious students – Former President of India Thiru R.Venkataraman (1987-92) , Former Supreme Court Chief Justices- Thiru Pathanchali Sastry ( 1951 – 54 ) , Thiru Koka Subba Rao ( 1958 – 1967 ) , Thiru P. Sadasivam ( 2013 ), Former Supreme Court Judges- Thiru V. R. Krishna Aiyar, Thiru P.Satyanarayana Raju , Thiru. V Balakrishna Eradi, Tmt.Banumathi , over 37 Supreme Court Lawyers and 1000 High Court Judges including Thiru.M. Karpagavinayagam, Thiru. V. Periyakaruppiah, Thiru.P.D Dinakaran , Former Central Ministers including Thiru. P. Chidambaram, State Chief Ministers including Thiru. Kotla Vijaya Bhaskara Reddy, Thiru. C. Sankaran Nair, a former President of the Indian National Congress and many government officials.
In pursuance of the direction of the High court vide Writ Petition No. 11806 0f 2017 and vide G.0 No.188/2017 dated 28.06.2018 , the Dr. Ambedkar Government Law college located in the High Court campus was bifurcated and shifted to two different campuses, one of which is located at Pudupakkam, Tiruporur Taluk, Chengalpattu District.
The campus has been declared open by the Hon’ble Chief Minister Edappadi K Palaniswami on 02.07.2018 in the presence of the Hon’ble Thiru. C.V.Shanmugam, the Minister for Law, Courts and Prisons, Mines and Minerals, through the video conferencing facility at the office of the Secretariat.